Jul 10, 2018

The City

It was just me when i left everything behind
one and a half mile long Lincoln tunnel feels like a time machine,
when the sun started to rise as i reached Midtown
I took steps towards 8 avenue in the middle of 40th and 42nd street

It was just me when too many stares caught mine 
right at the famous Times Square in that ruby stairs
where the world seemed merged into one, 
those intense eyes convinced me that i was apart

It was just me when everything seemed like moving forward
I stopped for a second, one block away from Booth theatre
adjusting my breath which seemed not right back into its rhythm
under the moving screens where all sought for a spotlight,
i quietly asked world to slow down

It was just me try to keep on moving
entering the park from the northeast of Columbus Circle 
i laid down by the lake staring at the twin towers of the San Remo
questioning if it is true that everything has two sides,
should i savor this solitude instead?

It was just me when the sunset still looks magnificent
even though from this east coast, intimidated me
convinced me that nothing was ever mine

It was just me when i suddenly sank into despair.


-----------------------------------------------------


Note.
This writing has been in my phone's note since my visit to the big apple last summer. 
Now i'm 10k miles away from there, i knew at some point i will miss how New York City daunt me.
Frank Sinatra might be partially right, when he said if you make it there you can make it anywhere
but it ain't always from the way this city makes you feel superior, in fact from my experience, it always left me feeling so small. but i guess that's okay,
because in order to stand up, it is not only about how many things inspire you but sometimes it is about how many things intimidate you.

No comments: